[CLUE-Tech] Ghostscript issues..

mgushee at havenrock.com mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Jan 21 17:33:15 MST 2003

On 21 Jan 2003 at 17:07, Lynn Danielson wrote:

> I've used Ghostscript quite a lot for pdf conversion and I've never
> seen this problem.  One question, if you're using Alladin Ghostscript
> (not GNU) and recompiling from scratch, why not use the latest 8.0
> version?  I wouldn't really expect upgrading to 8.0 to fix this
> problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.  You're sure your using the
> same Fontmap file in both instances?

I think Lynn's pointing in the right direction here. I can't recall if I've ever dealt with
this kind of issue in Ghostscript, but I definitely have with TeX, and the usually
cause for missing characters is a font encoding mismatch.

Are you getting exactly the same errors with all documents? With all fonts? Or are
you getting similar-but-not-identical errors? Or is it happening with some documents
and not others?

By the way: I suppose you have your reasons, and they may be very good ones, but
offhand it seems like you're making life hard for yourself by starting with PostScript
source documents. Either TeX or SGML sources would have advantages for
portability and content management, and would be easier to generate
programmatically. But you probably know that.

--
Matt Gushee