[CLUE-Tech] Odd question

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Jan 23 14:22:15 MST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:30:47 -0700 (MST)
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <clue at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is kind of an oddball question, but I thought I'd throw it out
> there anyway... has anyone had any experience or know anything about
> recording phone calls with Linux? Specifically, I'd like to find a way
> to record interviews directly onto my Linux box so that I can easily
> archive them... I've got a few spare modems hanging about, external and
> internal, and I'm wondering if it's possible to set them up so that I
> can use the computer for this function instead of having to hook up a
> tape player and then play the tape back to record interviews...

I doubt you can use a modem, because it wants to synch with the other end
using carrier. It'll just drop the call without carrier from the other
end.

However, it should be possible to do something with your soundcard. The
gross thing would be to get one of those suction cup "phone tap"
microphones, and plug it into your soundcard's mic input, then use grecord
or something like that to record.

Looking at 'make xconfig', I see there are "telephony" options. Don't know
where that gets you. Also, you might find (even though it sounds like
taking the long way) something in the "video for Linux" arena, since
that's specifically geared towards capture/playback, albeit not pure
audio.

HTH
jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl