[CLUE-Tech] Nasty CD burner behavior

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Sun Jan 26 12:41:41 MST 2003

Matt,

I don't know that Rxvt would cause a problem. However, my IDE SCSI may
be configured slightly differently to yours. I have only used XCDRoast
to burn CD's... this uses cdrecord for burning. I am using RH7.2 with a
custom kernel.

I have both a CD-ROM and a CD-Burner in the same box. Both on one IDE
cable. The CDROM is /dev/hdc and the burner is/dev/scd0. I added the
following to my modules.conf

options ide-cd ignore=hdd
alias scsi-cd ide-scsi

The first line say use ide-cd for all devices excluding /dev/hdd. I am
using grub as my boot loader. My kernel line is:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-custom ro root=/dev/hda1 hdd=ide-scsi

This tells the kernel to use ide-scsi when accessing /dev/hdd.

When I compiled the kernel, I had to include SCSI Vendor extensions for
the burner to work; this option is also required for a regular SCSI CD
burner. For/usr/src/linux/.config, I had the following:

These are my IDE options:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m

And the following are my SCSI options:

#
# SCSI support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=m

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m