[CLUE-Tech] Restoring filesystems on an IDE drive

Michael Black mpblack at attbi.com
Wed Jan 29 00:09:42 MST 2003

Here is the question that I have.  I recently lost the filesystem on a
drive.  I ran e2fsck and repaired the errors that were reported after a
system startup.  Heck, the only reason I shut it off was to replace the
power supply.  The e2fsck worked when I have had several errors.  After
I successfully booted it up, I was able to move into the drive, write to
it, etc.  However, later that day, the drive simply lost the filesystem.
It doesn't report any errors during startup.  The only thing that it is
reported when doing an "ls" on the drive is the lost+found directory.
There have been no reformatting of the drive, nor was there any
overwriting of the filesystem.

To be honest, I am at a loss.  I was thinking that the drive physically
had problems, but that might not be the case.  I am lost and I need
help.

Mike Black