[CLUE-Tech] CD burning

bof bof at pcisys.net
Wed Jan 29 11:54:17 MST 2003

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

><snip>
>
>Anyway, I just wrote the CD like this:
>
>mkisofs <some options> | cdrecord <some options>
>
>Is there a recommended set of options folks use for mkisofs?

For CD's to be used under Windows, I use the Joliet extension in
addition to the RockRidge one, so I issue

    mkisofs -o example.iso -R -J directory_toburn

where example.iso is the image I will want to burn.

According to the man page:

      -J      Generate  Joliet  directory records in addition to regular
iso9660 file names.  This
              is primarily useful when the discs are  to  be  used  on
Windows-NT  or  Windows-95
              machines.  The Joliet filenames are specified in Unicode
and each path component can
              be up to 64 Unicode characters long.  Note that Joliet is
no standard  -  CD's  that
              use only Joliet extensions but no standard Rock Ridge
extensions may usually only be
              used on Microsoft Win32 systems. Furthermore, the fact
that the filenames  are  lim-
              ited  to  64  characters and the fact that Joliet uses the
UTF-16 coding for Unicode
              characters causes interoperability problems.

For CD's to be used only under Linux, IIRC, you only need the -R switch
(which I believe is the default if not specified). I sometimes use the
-r switch to remove permissions so that I don't need to be root to use
the CD. See the man page for more on these.

>And do you usually create the ISO and then mount it (I've never done this and don't
>know how) before you burn it?

After creating the image as above, I like to check it by mounting it at
/mnt by using

    mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro example.iso /mnt

This allows me to see it before I burn it. I don't use any special
switches for burning, so I just issue

    cdrecord -v speed=10 dev=0,0,0 -data example.iso

for my 10 speed burner. After burning it, then it can be mounted as any
other CD, although I find on my system that I need to open the tray once
after burning before I can mount it for some reason or the other.

BOF