[CLUE-Tech] Ok, I will try to explain this better

Michael Black mpblack at attbi.com
Wed Jan 29 22:13:13 MST 2003

I have an 80 GB IDE drive that was originally formatted w/ the ext2
filesystem.  It served as a backup drive for various files.  About two
days ago, I had to turn the system off due to painting the room.  After
I was finished, I started the machine back up.  It went through normal
startup, but it had trouble initializing /dev/hdb1 (the backup drive).
It asked for me to give the root password for maintenance, which I did.
Then I ran the following command:

# e2fsck -b (don't remember the superblock number that it defaulted to)
/dev/hdb1

It ran through the filesystem check, and repaired the damage it found.

I then rebooted the system upon completion.  The drive was then
recognized, and I didn't have any problems for the rest of that day.
The next day, my roommate accidentally shut off the server, so we had to
run through the filesystem check again.  This time, it ran into the
previous problem.  So, I again ran the e2fsck program, but it used a
different superblock, due to the fact that it couldn't find the
original.  This I was assured was ok, because the one that it used was
able to be done according to the documentation, provided that I used one
that it suggested.

Again, the filesystem check was successful, and I was able to use the
drive.  Later on that day, I couldn't connect to the drive, or even see
its contents in an ls command.  It only listed lost+found.  I thought
that this was strange.  After many filesystem checks, I finally shut
down the machine.  When I rebooted it, it detected the drive, but again
there was no listing other than the lost+found in it.  I know that no
one issued the format command or the fdisk command, as this would
destroy all data.

To be honest, I am stumped by this.  Any help could be appreciated.

Mike