[CLUE-Tech] Wireless Barcoding thru Linux Port

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Jan 30 17:08:43 MST 2003

That's it, I'm leaving.  Bad enough we have too many Daves around here,
now we got two Dave Ws. ;-)

Dave W wrote:

> 1. There can be No operating system management.
>     (no Logins,etc) except bufffering.

That means the OS isn't doing anything with the serial device.  In other
words, not running getty (or its cousins) on it.  Just make sure there
is no getty line in /etc/inittab for /dev/ttyS3.

As to buffering, I don't know about that (but perhaps the default is
good enough).  You can look at the setserial man page -- that's the only
one I know of for serial port devices.  There might be more in the
kernel docs.

> I have been editing the /etc/inittab file (trying to be careful) and trying
> different options for this port thru 'man agetty' and it gets confusing. I
> am familiar with most areas where linux uses the devices like
> /sbin/init.d/serial and others.

As I said, you don't want any getty at all.  What program is going to
talk to this device?