[CLUE-Tech] dns example

Jeremiah Stanley lists at miah.org
Thu Jul 3 08:53:34 MDT 2003

> 1) Run a split DNS view where when the DNS query comes in on eth1
> responds with an internal IP list and if it comes in on eth0 it responds
> with your external IP list.

I've done this in the past. DNS & BIND from O'Reilly is the best $35 I
ever spent. :)

Here is some of my config that I setup at home.

acl "internal" {
        127/8;
        192.168.1/24;
};

view "internal" {
        match-clients { "internal"; };
        recursion yes;

        zone "home.miah.org" IN {
                type master;
                file "home.miah.org";
        };

        zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
                type master;
                file "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
        };
};

This is just an internal view, but I think it is easy enough to grok out
what you'd have to do make an external one. The solution that I had
setup for a while involved setting up "miah.org" as my external domain
and then setting up "home.miah.org" as my internal domain. This is still
working well for me even though I'm back on a modem. :_(

With this setup you will have to maintain two zone records. This isn't
really hard when it is one domain and a few hosts, but I could see this
being painful on a larger system. I guess that's why people make LDAP
backends for DNS.

Hope that helps. Lemme know if I can scan any pages out of the book for
you.
--
JStanley <miah at miah.org>
http://www.slavewage.com/