[CLUE-Tech] dns example

ian iguy at ionsphere.org
Thu Jul 3 06:41:02 MDT 2003

Mike,

There's two ways to deal with this.

1) Run a split DNS view where when the DNS query comes in on eth1
responds with an internal IP list and if it comes in on eth0 it responds
with your external IP list.

ie.  DNS request comes in from 66.33.222.23 so the DNS response for
mail.yourdomain.com is 99.22.11.22.  If it comes from 192.168.0.x then
it responds 192.168.0.1.

2) This assumes that your firewall/nat gateway allows routing to occur
in the internal interface and back out the internal interface.  Most of
the little boxes don't.  And what this means is if you make a request
that comes from the internal interface for your external IP which is
port forwarded to an internal address that it'll route it back to the
internal interface.

ie.  192.168.0.5 makes SMTP request to your mail server's external IP ->
  99.22.11.22:25 -> which goes to your nat box -> the nat box allows
forwarding like I described -> request gets NATted to the SMTP box ->
request goes back out internal interface.

Your setup that you currently DNS should work then.

Since it doesn't you'll need to look at option 1 then instead.  Dig up
on DNS views.  Or replace your gateway router with a serious fw box.  :)
  joke joke..

ian