[CLUE-Tech] dns example

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Wed Jul 2 20:35:09 MDT 2003

Hello - I think I have a complicated question here, so here goes.  I have
a local DSL based network I'm trying to set up.  The local ip range is
192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255.  I'm running the following services on one
box:

DNS Server
Web Server
Mail Server

I'm trying my best to figure out how to create a proper zone file that
makes all this work - my problem is the external ip, let's say 1.1.1.1 is
my external ip - I'm trying to figure out to get all the local machines
and all external machines to understand that I'm running a mail server,
and that all email going to whatever at newdomain.org should go to that
server.  I currently have port forwarding working flawlessly on my dsl
router, pointing all the right ports to 192.168.0.25 (my server).  I'm
going to register a domain name and have it pointed at my network, so I'm
assuming I tell Net Solutions to look to my new dns server at 1.1.1.1.
Somehow, I need my zone to work with the local ip range and external ip
happily.... here is what I have so far, and I don't think it's correct:

ORIGIN .
$TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
newdomain.org          IN SOA  elway.oaks.newdomain.org.
administrator.oaks.newdomain.org. (
                                12         ; serial
                                900        ; refresh (15 minutes)
                                600        ; retry (10 minutes)
                                86400      ; expire (1 day)
                                3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
                                )
                        NS      dns.newdomain.org.
                        NS      elway.oaks.newdomain.org.
$ORIGIN newdomain.org.
dns                     A       1.1.1.1
dsl                     A       1.1.1.1
mail                    MX      5 1.1.1.1.
elway.oaks              A       192.168.0.25
www                     A       1.1.1.1

Does anyone have an example of this kind of setup... has anyone been able
to successfully pull this off before?

--
				-Mike Staver
				 staver at fimble.com