[CLUE-Tech] Win98 Install After Linux

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Jul 14 19:18:06 MDT 2003

I have the need to put Win98 on laptop that is currently only Debian
Linux.

It has been a few years since I have used Windows much, and even longer
since I did dual-boot. Since Linux is already installed, Win98 is
going to overwrite the MBR, right? So, my ability to boot Linux will
temporarily go away. But I can just reboot with a rescue disk (those
Debian boot CDs are super handy for that), and reinstall LILO, giving it
the extra info about the Win98 partition.  Right?

Does Windows do anything more nefarious than that? I have a clean FAT32
parition waiting for Winders, that I created with Parted.

TIA,
Tim

PS -> Such a bummer to have to install Windows, but I have
finally decided that I can not afford a digital SLR, now, or in
the forseeable future. So I need to start using my nice film
SLR, and scanning my slides to digitize them. Sadly, I managed
to be a bonehead several years ago and get the only film scanner
that has absolutely zero Linux support, thanks to an propietary
firmware dowlnoad that HP won't release (not even now, when
the scanner is really beginning to fade in usefullness). Sigh.