[CLUE-Tech] Win98 Install After Linux

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 19:39:01 MDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:18:06 -0600
"Timothy C. Klein" <teece at silverklein.net> wrote:

> I have the need to put Win98 on laptop that is currently only Debian
> Linux.
>
> It has been a few years since I have used Windows much, and even
> longer since I did dual-boot. Since Linux is already installed, Win98
> is going to overwrite the MBR, right? So, my ability to boot Linux
> will temporarily go away. But I can just reboot with a rescue disk
> (those Debian boot CDs are super handy for that), and reinstall LILO,
> giving it the extra info about the Win98 partition.  Right?
>
> Does Windows do anything more nefarious than that? I have a clean
> FAT32 parition waiting for Winders, that I created with Parted.

Windows won't even see your linux partitions.  The only problem you may
encounter is that some Windows versions like to be only in partition
numero uno.  Mark the FAT32 partition as bootable, and make sure it's
small enough.  I don't remember the size limit, but linux will let you
configure too large a partition for successful format with Win98 (been
there, done that, redid that).  Win98 will overwrite the MBR, but your
linux partitions will be intact. With a rescue disk, put grub (or lilo)
back in the MBR, add the windows boot stanza to your config and see what
happens.  If your Win98 is not partition number 1 and Windows complains,
you can always get grub to lie about the order of the partitions.  You
can probably get lilo to do that too, but I haven't used lilo in a
coon's age.

Sadly, I managed

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the