[CLUE-Tech] Linux for mom

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Jul 15 13:10:25 MDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:06:40 -0600
Kirk Rafferty <kirk at fpcc.net> wrote:

> but the
> dialup interface in KDE has always given her fits.  The 7.1-era dialer
> is fairly flakey for end-users, and I occasionally make the house-call
> to launch a terminal and clean PPP up

If you'd like, I can supply ppp/chat scripts/instructions for you to set
it up that way. I wrote these (err, plagiarized, actually) back when I had
mega-trouble with ppp under RH5.1. I still use them, even under RH8.0,
because the ppp dialer they supply is still borked. Adding them into the
gui should be as easy as creating a couple buttons to run the "up" and
"down" scripts. It's pretty simple, although you will probably need to do
one dialup login via minicom to see what the dialog looks like, to get the
chat script tailored to your ISP. But after that, it's smooth sailing,
man.

jed