[CLUE-Tech] Linux for mom

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Tue Jul 15 13:45:10 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 11:06, Kirk Rafferty wrote:

*snip*

> I'm thinking of upgrading her to Mandrake 9.1.  Can anyone give comment on
> how stable KPPP on Mandrake is now?  Stable may not be the right word
> here...predictable is more like it.  She gets fairly frustrated when it
> doesn't work according to her script (literally...she has written
> instructions she follows to get herself connected), and I'd like to give
> her something that doesn't require me to house-call every couple weeks.

Ever thought of just getting her DSL or a cable modem? They're not that
much more expensive, and no dialing is necessary...

If that's not doable, you might also want to look at SuSE with Ximian
GNOME... it's about as user-friendly as a desktop gets. I don't
recommend Red Hat 9, I've had a few problems with it (notably, the
updater has died on me, and I can no longer get system updates using
it... and for some reason, Adobe Acrobat doesn't want to work...), but
SuSE is pretty solid.

> I use Gnome pretty exclusively, so I'm a little out of touch on KDE these
> days.  But she's comfortable in KDE now, and I really don't want to move
> her over to Gnome.

Ah... well, if GNOME is not an option, KDE in SuSE is pretty usable.

I like Mandrake, but I think SuSE's a slightly better choice for
newbies. That's just my preference... I set a friend up with SuSE about
two years ago, and haven't heard any complaints...

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net