[CLUE-Tech] Sendmail on a local network

Jeremiah Stanley lists at miah.org
Wed Jul 16 08:03:22 MDT 2003

> Anyway, I discovered a way around it, although I seem to have deleted the
> e-mail I thought I'd saved, which showed how. I think it was to enclose
> the IP address inside brackets, e.g. [192.168.22.5]. You might have to
> google a bit to find out the exact syntax.

The bracket trick also works in alias files as well. This is really
handy. It will also work with a hostname in brackets as well like:
miah@[lnuxgeek.dyndns.org]. This allows you to send email to a host
without it having an MX record. The mailserver _should_ route the mail
directly which is a good thing for logs and error messages that you need
Right Now(tm).

--
JStanley <miah at miah.org>
http://www.slavewage.com/