[CLUE-Tech] Vmware 4

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Fri Jul 18 11:36:29 MDT 2003

On Friday, 18 July 2003 at 11:20:18 -0600, Timothy C. Klein <teece at silverklein.net> wrote:
> * Randy Arabie (randy at arabie.org) wrote:
> > I recall there being several Vmware users on the list.
> >
> > I'm moving out-of-state next month, but am going to continue
> > working on a contract basis for my current employer.  I'm
> > involved in a database/gis project that requires a bunch of
> > Windoze software, including ArcView.
> >
> > I don't have a beefy enough machine to dedicate to a Windoze
> > install just for ArcView, so I'm thinking I need to consider
> > Vmware as an option.  I've got a dual P-III 850mhz machine
> > running Debian as my primary workstation/server at home.
> >
> > However, I noted on the Vmware site that they only specify
> > RH as a "support" linux distro.
> >
> > Has anyone here used Vmware on Debian?
> >
> > How about Vmware v4?
>
> I used an older version of Vmware on my Debian distro with no problem
> at all.  I don't remember which version.  I am sure it will work.  Don't
> they have an evaluation version, so you can check it out first?

Yup.  I reckon I'll download it here at the office tomorrow
where I still have broadband access and give it a whirl.

I just didn't want to waste a lot of time trying if there
were some known issues.  I did a google and found nothing
regarding vmware 4 and debian.  I've found it very
frustrating to try and trouble shoot via a 28.8
connection...I'm quite spoiled.
--

Allons Rouler!

Randy