[CLUE-Tech] Stops crashing

Stephen Lehr slehr at hypermall.net
Mon Jul 21 08:33:00 MDT 2003

I'd been running a download version of Red Hat 8.0 on my homemade Athlon
1600+ machine for several months, with no real problems.

Dissatisfied with peace, I downloaded RH 9.0 and tried the upgrade.  I
neither added nor deleted any packages.  The installation putted along
for awhile and then locked up.

After a couple tries, the first thing I thought to try was to add some
new package.  I did this and the upgrade installation uneventfully ran
to completion.  Temporary bliss!

Various packages were upgraded and the fonts looked pretty nice, but
from time to time my screen would lock up when trying to browse the Web
(Mozilla) or read my mail (Evolution).  I had to cycle power to get back
to play.

This was when it started getting hot in July and I thought maybe the
hardware was failing.  Temperature in the box was OK, however.

I installed the latest Mozilla browser without improving anything.  I
looked next at Evolution.  RH 9.0 upgraded it to 1.2.  I downloaded and
installed 1.4.3 and the screen locking has ceased for the last 4 days or
so (since installation).

My questions include:

	Anyone else see this behavior?
	If the Evolution package caused this, how could it?