[CLUE-Tech] Stops crashing

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Mon Jul 21 09:59:31 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 08:33, Stephen Lehr wrote:
> I'd been running a download version of Red Hat 8.0 on my homemade Athlon
> 1600+ machine for several months, with no real problems.
>
> Dissatisfied with peace, I downloaded RH 9.0 and tried the upgrade.  I
> neither added nor deleted any packages.  The installation putted along
> for awhile and then locked up.

Did you check your logfiles after the events to see if you could
pinpoint the problem? Perhaps there were some indications in your XFree
log or other logs?

> 	Anyone else see this behavior?
> 	If the Evolution package caused this, how could it?

I'm running RH9 on one of my machines, and I haven't had similar
problems. However, the default Mozilla install was somewhat buggy, IIRC,
and I had to grab a new version... Evolution didn't present any serious
problems.

I avoid updating between versions like the plague, and prefer to do
fresh installs. This goes for RH, SuSE, Mandrake, Slackware, et al.

The best thing to do, IMHO, is to keep separate partitions for your
/home directory and possibly /opt and /usr/local and simply overwrite
the rest. This can be a bit time-consuming if you install a lot of
software that's not included in the distro, but it's much easier to
re-install a few packages than to track down random problems that have
occurred due to an upgrade...

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier