[CLUE-Tech] RE: Stops crashing

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 21 19:26:46 MDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:52:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hani Duwaik <hduwaik at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Oddly enough, I spent Sunday reinstalling RH Linux on my Athlon 1500+
> system.  Initially, I had RH 8.0 and everything was fine, yesterday I
> installed RH 9.0 and actually started seeing problems.

I guess that's why I stick with gentoo.  After the initial install
(painfully slow on most machines), you can stay up to date with almost
never a need to replace the whole shooting match as with RH, Mandrake,
etc.  I installed at the 1.1 level.  Gentoo is up to 1.4 now, and my
system is the equivalent of that after a couple of years worth of
incremental upgrades.  With gentoo, the release number really is only an
indication of the install CD.  Anyone who keeps up with the stable
updates has the equivalent of a brand new 1.4 system.

The other reason I dropped RedHat (which is not a bad distro, at least
it worked well for me) was that I got tired of searching for compatible
RPMs. RedHat does a good job of keeping the linux/unix base up to date
and of fixing security problems, but they don't have a very big
repository of miscellaneous programs. It's very seldom that I fail to
find what I need in the gentoo portage database.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the