[CLUE-Tech] Java and Debian

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Jul 22 21:52:27 MDT 2003

Hey All,

I recently upgraded my wife's machine on Debian testing.  Java was
working before (she needs it for Metro's web page, and she is seriously
addicted to those java applet games on www.popcap.com, so if I don't get
it working I am in biiiiig trouble :-).

After the upgrade, Java has failed, it no longer seems to realize I have
a plugin. So I reinstall java fron Sun, desperately, and re-copy the
plugin that comes with the download from sun. No help.

My question is, do any fellow Debian users have a painless way of
getting java to work in Debian?  Since the java support is truly
bad in Debian, I have to get it from Sun or IBM.  But then it is not a
part of the deb life-cycle, so it always breaks like this after a few
months.  It is always failing far enough apart that I forget everything
I learned to get it to work last time.  Sigh.

Anybody have any nice way of doing it?

Tim