[CLUE-Tech] exporting linux display to a different system

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Jun 2 20:01:44 MDT 2003

Timothy C. Klein wrote:
[...]
> Does RH9 disable TCP  listening in the X Server?  Debian does
> this by default, and until you re-enable it, none of this will work.  I
> don't know how Redhat does the configuration, but if the server is
> launched with the '-nolisten' tcp option, then you will not get a remote
> display no matter how hard you try.

I think that disabling or blocking the TCP listener on port 6000 makes
no difference to ssh.  If DISPLAY is set on the local machine and ssh is
started with -X, the session on the remote machine will have DISPLAY set
automagically.  The remote DISPLAY refers to a socket that ssh is
listening on, not X, and anything going to that socket is passed by ssh
to the local DISPLAY socket.

You also shouldn't have to play with xhost as ssh fakes (or proxies) the
authentication.

If sshd_config says X11Forwarding no, I think you are out of luck since
this should override any client side settings.