[CLUE-Tech] exporting linux display to a different system

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Jun 2 18:50:39 MDT 2003

Doug:

> I am trying to send the X-Windows display from one linux system to
> another. For sake of the explanation, I will call the system where I
> want to view X on sys1 and the remote system sys2. All typed commands
> are quoted for clarity, but entered in the console sans quotes.
>
> Here are the steps that I have done:
> 1) On sys1, I type "xhost +"
> 2) From sys1, ssh into sys2
> 3) On sys2, type "export DISPLAY=sys1:0"
> 4) On sys2, try to run "xeyes" to test it.
> 5) I get the error: "Error: Can't open display: sys1:0"

Are you running any sort of firewall on sys1?  The X11 application will
use a socket to sys1:6000 for display 0.  You should try, from sys2:
sys2> telnet sys1 6000

If you get a "connected to sys1" message then there is something else
wrong.  However, I bet that telnet won't be able to connect on port
6000, since that's the most likely cause of the can't open display
message.

If you have your $DISPLAY set when you start the ssh session, then
don't reset the DISPLAY environment variable and you can use the
sshd X11 port forwarding which is automagic.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/