[CLUE-Tech] exporting linux display to a different system

Michael Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Mon Jun 2 23:08:11 MDT 2003

Ski Dawg wrote:

>I am trying to send the X-Windows display from one linux system to
>another. For sake of the explanation, I will call the system where I
>want to view X on sys1 and the remote system sys2. All typed commands
>are quoted for clarity, but entered in the console sans quotes.
>
>Here are the steps that I have done:
>1) On sys1, I type "xhost +"

Don't do this, you're opening yourself up for a potential attack

>2) From sys1, ssh into sys2

Good here!

>3) On sys2, type "export DISPLAY=sys1:0"

You don't need this. SSH does the work for you. Just try "echo
$DISPLAY". You should see "localhost:10.0" this will get directed
through the tunnel that SSH automatically sets up. with Redhat you
shouldn't even need to pass the -X option unless you have customized the
configs.

>4) On sys2, try to run "xeyes" to test it.

xeyes is a good test.

>5) I get the error: "Error: Can't open display: sys1:0"

No more error. Right?

>Does anyone have any thoughts about why this is happening and how to fix
>it? I have tried googling for the answer, but haven't come up with
>anything yet.

Your problem is that you're doing too much work. sys1 probably has
iptables blocking access to port 6000 so sys2 can't connect to the
Xserver on sys1. Thanks to SSH you don't need that though.

Good Luck!

Michael "Murph" Robbert
System Administrator for Math/CS
Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO  80401-1887
Office: SH221
Office phone: 303-273-3786
Pager: 303-461-6543 or Text messages: murph_pager at bigfoot.com
Email: mrobbert at mines.edu