[CLUE-Tech] Creating CD distros?

Art Reisman astormchaser2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 13:07:21 MDT 2003

--- David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:
> Art Reisman wrote:
> > This seems to be one barrier to adoption for
> > the project. Lots of people download it, but not
> that
> > many install it because it is a hassle to build
> > kernels with patches to get it working.
>
> Would it be close enough to make rpm and/or deb
> packages they could
> install?  Seems a lot easier and more flexible than
> a custom distro.

Ok I'm the ignorant one... but maybe this will clarify
the constraints on the distro..

Basically I want to automate all the steps in the
howto that I have to do now to build an arbitrator.
I want to eliminate the  make menu config options,
patching the kernel and rebuild steps, that users have
to do now. I don't think I want anything more than the
bare minimum software in the software on the CD. I
want to eliminate them so when they install thd CD
there is nothing left to do but hit return a few times
and is your default time zone XYZ.  I then want to pop
a configuration screen for the arbitrator. So if I can
ship something like this or let people download an
image that would do it.

And yes I want to be able sell this bundled distro for
$50 or $60 but heck I need to eat...

So does this need to be custom? Or can it piggy back
on something existing?

Art