[CLUE-Tech] Creating CD distros?

Art Reisman astormchaser2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 14:44:53 MDT 2003

> Maintaining a customized kernel, huh? That's brave.

Sorry I should have been more clear, the customized
part is really only in a couple files in a very stable
isolated module (the bridge module), the rest of the
kernel can change at will with no effects. And
remember the final installation is really an embedded
system, with a single purpose, so I don't expect the
end user to need to touch it to load the latest kernel
fix for some bizarre driver once they are up and
running.

> Do your
> modifications have to be built into the kernel
> itself, or could they
> live in one or more modules? It's one thing to build
> a kernel for a
> single machine, but I suspect it is an enormous
> amount of work to build
> a kernel that will work reliable on a variety of
> different hardware.
I do need an reliave kernel that will install on all
kinds of H/W but with the caveat that this kernel has
the one customized module included. And by the way the
bridge module has no hardware dependencies so there
are no variations in the part I touch as per hardware.

Ok is that do-able from that perspective easily. ( I
will do it , just trying to figure out how many
sleepness nights ahead)

Art

If