[CLUE-Tech] Debian sid & xfree86 4.2.1-7

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Sun Jun 8 23:24:08 MDT 2003

Hi Wayne,

> I am running sid in an Inspiron 8K (Rage Mobility 128) with xfree86
> 4.2.1-7 with the 2.4.21-rc6 kernel.  I had X and Enlightenment running
> great, but with the last apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade X
> windows will start however is now giving me an error.  I understand
> that this might be cause by trying to run X as root, but this was
> while trying as user.

First -- never, ever, ever, ever, ever run Debian unstable and be
surprised when something breaks, or even expect it not to be broken in
the first place... especially when doing updates.

Second -- This is a known issue:
http://www.debianplanet.com/node.php?id=966#comment

I don't think it has anything to do with running X as root, the new
updates break several things due to "some problems with GCC 3.3."

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net