[CLUE-Tech] Linux friendly DSL ISPs (was: Debian sid & xfree86 4.2.1-7)

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Tue Jun 10 07:17:05 MDT 2003

"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb at dissociatedpress.net> writes:

> I don't think it has anything to do with running X as root, the new
> updates break several things due to "some problems with GCC 3.3."

I know this one all to well!  This is why xemacs broke and I was
unable to get any work done!  Sounds like Sid needs to be taken out
behind the woodshed!  (Yes, yes, I am aware that unstable does have a
tendency to self-destruct in rather spectacular ways on a semi-regular
basis; but this one was beauty and the first since I have be upgrading
across a modem and zip disks).

Which leads me to the oft asked question: good Linux friendly ISPs.  I
had an ISP all picked out and was ready to go, but now I am no sure if
the ISP is still in business.  I have several computers and a wireless
hub for working while on the front porch (so overbearing ISPs need not
apply; I am paying for the bandwidth, what I do with it is my
business).  It would be nice to have a few email accounts and some
webspace.  I also need to be able to serve webpages from home.

These are the ISPs I have looked at, does anyone have any practical
experience with any of them:

* Fairplay Communications (http://www.fpcc.com/)

  These guys seem to be very Linux friendly and be far my first
  choice.  However, I have some reservations.  First, I do not see
  them listed as providers with Qwest any more.  Second, I cannot find
  any support phone numbers listed on their website.  I talked to Kirk
  on this email list some number of months ago.  Are you still around
  Kirk?

* FRII (http://frii.net/)

  I have worked with these guys before.  Fairplay just seems to have a
  better deal (the email address, domain hosting, etc).

Some others that I have looked into are boulder.net, americanisp.com,
and a couple of others.

-Dale