[CLUE-Tech] Linux friendly DSL ISPs (was: Debian sid & xfree86 4.2.1-7)

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Tue Jun 10 08:08:09 MDT 2003

<---snip--->

> Which leads me to the oft asked question: good Linux friendly ISPs.  I
> had an ISP all picked out and was ready to go, but now I am no sure if
> the ISP is still in business.  I have several computers and a wireless
> hub for working while on the front porch (so overbearing ISPs need not
> apply; I am paying for the bandwidth, what I do with it is my
> business).  It would be nice to have a few email accounts and some
> webspace.  I also need to be able to serve webpages from home.
>
> These are the ISPs I have looked at, does anyone have any practical
> experience with any of them:
>
> * Fairplay Communications (http://www.fpcc.com/)
>
>   These guys seem to be very Linux friendly and be far my first
>   choice.  However, I have some reservations.  First, I do not see
>   them listed as providers with Qwest any more.  Second, I cannot find
>   any support phone numbers listed on their website.  I talked to Kirk
>   on this email list some number of months ago.  Are you still around
>   Kirk?
>
> * FRII (http://frii.net/)
>
>   I have worked with these guys before.  Fairplay just seems to have a
>   better deal (the email address, domain hosting, etc).
>
> Some others that I have looked into are boulder.net, americanisp.com,
> and a couple of others.

I used americanisp.com, and was very happy with them.  I say "used"
because I have given up my DSL/ISP account and moved my domain from my
equipment at home to a hosted environment due to my upcomming
relocation from Denver to Washington state.

They do use Qwest, which isn't necessarily a good thing.  They are
Linux friendly, will allow you to run servers (you pay extra), and
offer webspace, mulitple emails, domian hosting, DNS, etc...
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/