UNSUBSCRIBE YOURSELF, was [CLUE-Tech] Please Unsubscribe

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Tue Jun 10 08:19:23 MDT 2003

I've always found it the most helpful for a list admin to just unsubscribe
the person and be done with it.  It lets the user move on to other things,
it lets the list move on to more on-topic subjects, and it has the benefit
of keeping a neutral image of the list.  I.e., person decides to check out
Linux, and subscribes to a list.  Decides Linux is "too hard" or whatever.
Wants to unsubscribe, gets yelled at.  Outcome: Not only is Linux too hard,
but the community are jerks.

It doesn't matter that this is an inaccurate perception.  One person,
however misinformed, can spread a lot of negativity if that was their
perceived experience.

If the person is a hobbyist, it may not make a difference.  But what if
it's a CIO (or future CIO) or high-level purchasing-decision type?  We all
know that technical merit is only one piece of the puzzle.  It's entirely
possible to torpedo a huge Linux install project through a few unfortunate
words.

/steps off his high horse :)

Regards,
Kirk