[CLUE-Tech] Win4Lin vs. CrossOver vs. VMWare

Hani Duwaik hduwaik at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 13:52:46 MDT 2003

Everyone had some very useful advice regarding this subject.  Based on
those responses, I have a second (follow-up) question:

I know that CrossOver uses wine to run Winapps which allows it to run
in almost the same environment as the linux operating system.

I know that VMWare creates a protected environment that creates its own
connections to various devices and, in essence, runs almost independent
of the existing linux session.

I have no idea how Win4Lin works.

In this respect, CrossOver seems to be more flexible to the changes in
the system (ie: as memory changes, CrossOver accomodates) while VMWare
is less flexible (memory usuage is fixed).

My question then is what everyone else thinks about this (is
integrating WinApps with the linux session better or is VMWare's method
of separation preferred)?

Just wondering...

-Hani

P.S.:  Thanks again to all who offered their thoughts on my original
question.