[CLUE-Tech] "PTY problems" or "I'm an Idiot"

Chris Terry tuba_man at attbi.com
Thu Jun 12 18:14:03 MDT 2003

I've been beating myself up over this, but I can't figure it out.  I
just switched to gentoo (tasty, aside from this problem), and my system
now refuses to allocate PTYs to anything.  I've poked at the kernel,
recompiled a few times, jabbed at various conf files, and searched
through the docs.  I'm able to use terminals the ALT-F[1-5] way, but I
can't use any xterms or remote terms.  I don't know what else is
pertinent here, but I've compiled devfs support (gentoo requires it) and
Unix98 PTY support, and I've tried turning on and off the /dev/pts
filesystem support in the kernel.  Any ideas?