[CLUE-Tech] RedHat & Postfix

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Jun 16 10:23:06 MDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 08:29:04AM -0600, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> > So anyway, I have a simple question about this: is RedHat currently
> > "supporting" Postfix? In other words, if I install Postfix from an RPM,
> > can I be reasonably sure that timely updates will be available for
> > whatever security holes are discovered?
>
> You can find Red Hat's list of updates for 8.0 here:
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh8-errata-security.html
>
> I don't see any Postfix updates, but I'm not sure that there have been
> any security issues with Postfix since it's been released.

Yes, I looked at that list too. And I guessed the same thing. But I'd
like to have a better idea of RedHat's policy before relying on their
packages.

> If you're concerned, and willing to do a little extra work, you could
> set up a RH 8 UML machine at home

UML? That means "Unified Modeling Language" to me, but obviously you
mean something else. What does it stand for?

> and create RPMs from new releases of
> Postfix... In fact, you should probably be prepared to do this anyway,
> since RH has announced that they'll be ending support for RH 8 at the
> end of the year: http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/
>
> Who are you using for hosting? If they're pre-installing RH 8, ask them
> if they have any kind of migration plan for users who are on RH 8 or if
> they plan to offer updates.

It's johncompanies.com. And that's a good point. I'll ask.

> This is one of the reasons I decided to use Debian for my server instead
> of RH. They're a bit slower, but they have much better support for DIY
> types.

Yes, I generally prefer Debian myself ... in fact I have been very
critical of RedHat for what I view as jumping the gun on some of their
releases. And I probably could have had Debian installed, but I was
taking advantage of a special discount for Open Source contributors, and
the Debian option wasn't part of the standard signup for that. So my
account was set up, and it was RedHat ... I considered asking to have it
switched to Debian, but decided it wasn't that important. These days I
generally use either stock pre-built packages or source tarballs. In
most cases, if it's just for my own use, it seems like more trouble than
it's worth to customize RPMs or .debs.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.