[CLUE-Tech] RedHat & Postfix

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Mon Jun 16 08:29:04 MDT 2003

Hi Matt,

> So anyway, I have a simple question about this: is RedHat currently
> "supporting" Postfix? In other words, if I install Postfix from an RPM,
> can I be reasonably sure that timely updates will be available for
> whatever security holes are discovered?

You can find Red Hat's list of updates for 8.0 here:
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh8-errata-security.html

I don't see any Postfix updates, but I'm not sure that there have been
any security issues with Postfix since it's been released.

If you're concerned, and willing to do a little extra work, you could
set up a RH 8 UML machine at home and create RPMs from new releases of
Postfix... In fact, you should probably be prepared to do this anyway,
since RH has announced that they'll be ending support for RH 8 at the
end of the year: http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/

Who are you using for hosting? If they're pre-installing RH 8, ask them
if they have any kind of migration plan for users who are on RH 8 or if
they plan to offer updates.

This is one of the reasons I decided to use Debian for my server instead
of RH. They're a bit slower, but they have much better support for DIY
types.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier