[CLUE-Tech] Which RedHat SMP Version

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Thu Jun 19 09:47:24 MDT 2003

> Going to a Redhat mirror, there are SMP kernels for i586 and i686.
> I want to make sure that I have the right kernel but am a little
> unclear as to which to install.

I have a dual PII 400, here's my 'uname -a':
Linux dualie.glaven.org 2.4.20 #1 SMP Sun Dec 29 23:42:13 EST  i686
Pentium II (Deschutes) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I've always been a big fan of building my own kernels.  I never use RPMs
(unless forced to).  It helps you gain quite the understanding of how
things work, and it's fun, too. Go to ftp.kernel.org and grab the newest
2.4 source.

As for the differences between the versions of the kernel (2.2, 2.4, 2.5)
even numbers are stable, odd numbers are testing.  Inside each of those
will have bugfixes and additional support (2.4.2, 2.4.3, 2.4.21, for
example). My one workstation at home ran like crap on 2.4.19, but very
well on 2.4.20 because of chipset support. Now that 2.4.21 is out, I'm
slowly moving over my home machines from 2.4.20 to 2.4.20 (there goes my
uptime... sigh).

Anyway, I'd recommmend compiling your own kernel. It's good experience.
RH, while being easy to use, completely removes your ability to understand
WHY things are done.  "Hmm.. I have this module here. I need to insert it
into the kernel, but I don't konw how, or why, or where."  I weaned off of
red hat for that very reason.  It's harder, but if something breaks, you
aren't left with a question mark above your head.

Adam