[CLUE-Tech] Which RedHat SMP Version

Gary Threlkeld gthrelk at attbi.com
Thu Jun 19 22:20:14 MDT 2003

Thanks everyone for the input ... nice to know help is offered so
freely and is readily available.

Per Dave's suggestion, at least as a trial run, I did an
installation from the RH9 distribution CD's.  Dave was
right ... the install selected an SMP version for me.
(I didn't think anything but the single CPU kernel would
be offered on downloaded ISO's).

The result is that the install assumed the PII 450's were
of the i686 breed and posted two versions of the kernel to grub:
2.4.20-8smp
2.4.20-8

Selecting 2.4.20-8smp, the machine booted almost as fast
as my 1.9 GHz athlon!  After booting:

$uname -s  {Kernel}
Linux
$uname -n  {nodename}
bobcat.dcg-dn001.com
$uname -r   {kernel release}
2.4.20-8smp
$uname -v   {kernel version}
#1 SMP Thurs Mar 13 17:45:54 EST 2003
$uname -m  {machine}
i686
$uname -p  {processor}
i686
$uname -i   {hardware} <== maybe here was my confusion
i386
$uname -o  {operating system}
GNU/Linux

Now back to more reading and take the plunge into building my
own kernel.... wonder what this puppy will do when I boost
the memory from the current 128M .... humm???

Later - THANKS EVERYONE

Gary T. Threlkeld
email:     gthrelk at attbi.com