[CLUE-Tech] Which RedHat SMP Version

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Jun 19 10:30:36 MDT 2003

Warren wrote:
[...]
> athlon - AMD Athlon and Duron
> i686 - Intel Pentium II, III, and IV / Celeron
> i586 - Intel Pentium and AMD K6
> i386 - Compatible with all x86
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing a kernel
> compiled for "athlon" - I think they and Durons are regarded as
> "i686"-types as well.

No, athlons and durons are K7s, and AMD K6s are... K6s.  After K7 in the
AMD line comes athlon, but that is new to gcc 3 (these are all compiler
settings to tell it what instruction set to use).  Debian isn't
packaging "athlon" kernels yet, use K7.

There seems to be a lack of documentation on what CPU names go with what
gcc options.  Anyone have anything definitive?

Failing that, use K7 for AMD post-K6 CPUs and i686 for Intel
post-Pentium CPUs.