[CLUE-Tech] Which RedHat SMP Version

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Thu Jun 19 10:36:45 MDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 10:30, David Anselmi wrote:
> Warren wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > athlon - AMD Athlon and Duron
> > i686 - Intel Pentium II, III, and IV / Celeron
> > i586 - Intel Pentium and AMD K6
> > i386 - Compatible with all x86
> >
> > Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing a kernel
> > compiled for "athlon" - I think they and Durons are regarded as
> > "i686"-types as well.
>
> No, athlons and durons are K7s, and AMD K6s are... K6s.  After K7 in the
> AMD line comes athlon, but that is new to gcc 3 (these are all compiler
> settings to tell it what instruction set to use).  Debian isn't
> packaging "athlon" kernels yet, use K7.

Hrm... just peeked at the kernel on my Red Hat box w/a Athlon 1 GHz
CPU... it's listed as "i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux" -- I wonder what that
means, exactly... (I haven't recompiled the kernel on this machine,
since it's just for testing...won't have RH on here much longer...)

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net