[CLUE-Tech] 9iR2 dbca causing SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation on RH9

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Jun 19 17:23:22 MDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 06:28:16PM -0400, NTallo at aol.com wrote:

> I beleive that his error is due to the version of Java not being compatible
> with my machine - I had some problems with glibc and had to downgrade it.  So I
> think that this error will require a downgrade to the JRE.  May I assume that
> the Java version is 1.1.8 (based on the JRE folder) and if so where can I get
> a downgrade version and how can I install it? - IF THIS IS EVEN THE CORRECT
> FIX???

Ugh. I have no idea what could be causing your SIGSEGV, but downgrading
Java should be your last resort. It shouldn't be a problem to get Java
1.1.8--I don't know what RedHat is shipping, but Debian still ships
1.1.8. I believe the reason for that--which would apply equally to all
Linux vendors--is that when Sun started putting out Java for Linux,
development stopped or drastically slowed on the alternate
implementations. And because of licensing issues, Linux vendors can't
distribute Sun software. I guess they figure version 1.1.8 is better
than nothing, but it's really way obsolete. Every significant Java app
issued in the last two or three years requires *at least* Java 1.2.

You haven't said what version of Java you had installed or were trying
to install. I'm not sure whether this helps with Oracle, but I have
installed Sun's Java2 SDK versions 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 on several
different vintages of Linux, and never had any trouble getting them to
run.

Also, my understanding is that the JRE is a completely stand-alone
package, so in theory there is no need to have your JRE version in sync
with your JDK ... but maybe you have a mismatch between the JRE and
certain class files that it's trying to load.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)