[CLUE-Tech] How to verify SMTP config

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Mon Jun 23 12:43:46 MDT 2003

> I asked about this last week, but noone responded. Anyway, I am
> preparing to move my domain, including e-mail service, to a
> quasi-colocated server where I am responsible for the SMTP server. And
> before the new server goes live, I'd like to be as sure as possible that
> the mail will get delivered. Of course, I realize that I can't be 100%
> sure until the MX record is switched over, but there must be certain
> procedures I can follow to get a reasonable idea of whether everything's
> configured properly on the server itself. What do real sysadmins do in
> cases like this?

When I move over my mail servers, I'll typically copy over my configs
(which should solve most problems of losing mail, etc) and I'll use telnet
to verify that everything is getting delivered. I'll hand-deliver mail to
most of the domains that the box hosts and make sure that EVERYONE gets
their mail.  You can use this to test your procmail settings too, if
necessary.

Following the config copying/re-creation (with the same mc file) I'll just
telnet in and test it out by hand.  Assuming the server's hardware stays
up, things work fine.  I've moved my work server once, and my home server
quite a few times.  Hasn't failed me yet.

Adam