[CLUE-Tech] How to verify SMTP config

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Jun 23 14:25:47 MDT 2003

As always, thanks for the great suggestions!

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 12:42:18PM -0600, Dan Harris wrote:
> I would register a new domain and set your server as the MX for that new
> domain.

You know, you're absolutely right. And since I've been wanting a
family domain for a while anyway, I went and registered GUSHEE.NET ...
there are advantages to having a weird last name, I guess. I'd like to
see you try and set up a domain for your family ;-)

> When I move over my mail servers, I'll typically copy over my configs
> (which should solve most problems of losing mail, etc)

Except I'm using Exim at home, and my server has Sendmail. I could
replace it, of course, but I'm afraid I'd really screw something up in
the process and have to spend the next month poring over documentation.

> and I'll use telnet
               ^^^^^^
Isn't that spelled S-S-H?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 12:48:56PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> 1) make sure mail works locally, ie, mail yourself something from a
> command line on the new machine and make sure it delivers it fine.
>
> 2) Configure a remote machine to send mail to your domain at
> the new server

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.