[CLUE-Tech] Can't mount cds

Don Collier dcollier at collierclan.com
Fri Jun 27 10:25:47 MDT 2003

Hello all.  I seem to be having a bit of a problem.  I just reinstalled RH
8 back on to my laptop after trying RH 9 for a while (It seemed fine, but
didn't work with my docking station).  My cdrom is recognized but I am not
able to mount anything.

dmesg shows:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
hdb: attached ide-scsi driver.
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: TOSHIBA   Model: CDRW/DVD SDR2102  Rev: 1D13
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

So I know that the drive is recognized.  But when I try to mount a cd, I
get the following error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

The command used was:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom/

The log shows:

ide-scsi: hdb: unsupported command in request queue (0)
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40 (hdb), sector 0
FAT: unable to read boot sector

I have tried using several different cds but all give the same error.  Has
anyone seen this before?

I am running RedHat 8 on a Dell Latitude C840 with kernel version
2.4.20-18.8.  Thanks a bunch.

Don Collier
dcollier at collierclan.com