[CLUE-Tech] Which IMAP server?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Wed Jun 25 22:03:11 MDT 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 07:26 pm, Matt Gushee wrote:
> I eagerly await your suggestions.

Matt -

I just went through this on Red Hat 9.  I chose courier-imap because it allows
virtual mail users.  I too have a small domain and I didn't want to hook up
user authentication to LDAP, MySQL, or Postgres (all of which are supported
by courier-imap).  So, I am using the virtual users database, which is a gdbm
based files to authenticate.

I like this setup because I don't have to create UNIX users for people to
receive email.  In addition, postfix allows delivery to virtual users, so all
of my mail users are virtual.  Finally, courier-imap (unlike most others)
allows you to share maildirs.  This is really cool if you want many users to
see messages for a single account.  In my case, info@ goes to a shared folder
'info', which all users have read-only access.

The compilation of this application into an RPM is horrible and did not work
for me -- despite how simple the documentation makes it sound.  The
documentation for building it from a tar ball is good enough to get you
going.  Beware that the docs are written by the primary developer, so many
assumptions are missing.  However, I kept good notes and can give them to you
if you are interested.

Finally, the SAMS book 'Postfix' has a chapter on setting up courier-imap.  I
can bring a copy of it to the next meeting if you wish.

Here's some links:

Courier-imap setup w/ postfix:
 + http://www.postfix.org/docs.html

Courier-Imap home page:
 + http://www.inter7.com/courierimap.html

 RH9.0 > Postfix > Maildrop > Courier IMAP - How-I-did-it
 + http://www.firstpr.com.au/web-mail/RH90-Postfix-Courier-Maildrop-IMAP/

Jeff
--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."