[CLUE-Tech] Can't mount cds

Michael Robbert mrobbert at MINES.EDU
Fri Jun 27 10:57:13 MDT 2003

Don,
Sorry that we couldn't figure out what was wrong with RH9 and your
docking station. That is a little strange that it didn't just work.
Anyways, this one looks simple enough. I was able to reproduce your
problem on my RH9 installation. The problem is the device name you're
using. As you see in dmesg your CD-ROM is emulating SCSI, but /dev/hdb
is an IDE device. You need to access the emulated SCSI device instead.
Take a look at /etc/fstab and you should see an entry for your CD-ROM
drive. If so you should be able to just use:
mount /dev/cdrom  --or-- mount /mnt/cdrom
The rest will be picked up from your /etc/fstab.  You can look at your
/dev/cdrom device file and probably see that it is a link to a SCSI
device mine looks like this:

root]# ll /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root   9 Apr  4 17:56 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

Let us know if that doesn't work.