[CLUE-Tech] Mutt and Exim versus ATTBI

Matthew Porter mfporter at c-creature.com
Sun Jun 29 23:52:06 MDT 2003

I'm running an old Debian box behind a Linksys router on an ATTBI
(soon Comcast) cable modem.  I've long used Exim as my MTA and
Sylpheed as my primary MUA, with no problems.

I like to be able to use Mutt via a terminal window or SSH
session as an alternate MUA, but I've got a problem with outgoing
mail.  I can send mail from Mutt to other accounts on my local
machine, with the address <username>@localhost or
<username>@creature (my machine's hostname).  I can also send
mail directly to my ATTBI mailbox, using <my ATTBI
username>@attbi.com.

However, outgoing mail from Mutt to other addresses on the
Internet just disappear without a trace.  No problems in the Exim
logs -- as far as Exim is concerned, everything seems to be fine.
Also, no problem sending mail to the outside world from Sylpheed
-- the problem only occurs when sending from Mutt.

I found a few things via Google that suggest others have had
similar problems, but nothing that offers a solution.

A quick eyeball comparison of the headers of a message from
Sylpheed and a message from Mutt, both to my ATTBI box, yields
the following difference in the first "Received:" entries:

Sylpheed version:

	([127.0.0.1] helo=creature ident=matthew)
	by creature with smtp (Exim 3.36 #1 (Debian))
	id 19V1tZ-0002bP-00
	for <[my attbi address]>; Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:28:33 -0600

Mutt version:

(Debian))	id 19UvSD-0002TN-00
	for <[my attbi address]>; Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:35:53 -0600

Any ideas on what I need to fix in my Exim config or my muttrc?

--Matt.

Matthew Porter
Golden Colorado

mfporter at c-creature.com