[CLUE-Tech] Reverse DNS

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Jun 30 15:28:06 MDT 2003

* Matt Gushee (mgushee at havenrock.com) wrote:
> Well, I just had an outgoing email bounced due to a reverse DNS error:
>

>   This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).
>
>   A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>   recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
>
>     caml-list at pauillac.inria.fr
>       SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<caml-list at pauillac.inria.fr>:
>       host concorde.inria.fr [192.93.2.39]: 550 5.7.1 \
>         <caml-list at pauillac.inria.fr>... \
>         Fix reverse DNS for xxx.xxx.xx.xx,or use your ISP server
>

> Actually, I thought I was using my ISP's SMTP server. But this brings up
> an interesting problem: I have a static IP address on my DSL account; it
> doesn't represent any domain, nor is it supposed to. But there may be
> times when I want to send mail directly. In my situation, is there a way
> to have reverse DNS lookup return a meaningful result? Should it be set
> up that way already? Normally, who would be responsible--me or my ISP?

I have a static IP on DSL, and Forethought.net automatically set up all
the DNS stuff. They didn't tell me my DNS name (but it was easy enough to
figure out), but they do seem to give all hosts on their network very
unimaginative, unwieldy names, and set up DNS properly. So your ISP does
not do this?

You might ask them to.  But if they don't, you might have to buy a
domain name to get it to work properly.

Tim