[CLUE-Tech] Reverse DNS

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Jun 30 20:06:21 MDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:28:06PM -0600, Timothy C. Klein wrote:
> * Matt Gushee (mgushee at havenrock.com) wrote:
> > Well, I just had an outgoing email bounced due to a reverse DNS error:
>
> I have a static IP on DSL, and Forethought.net automatically set up all
> the DNS stuff.

Well, they didn't do it for me (yes, I mean foreThought.net--guess we
have the same ISP). I like their personalized service, but I guess the
other side of the coin is that certain services can get neglected at
times.

I just did a

  $ dig -x

on my IP address, and there didn't seem to be any hostname for my IP--at
least, the output had a QUESTION SECTION and an AUTHORITY SECTION, but
no ANSWER SECTION.

> You might ask them to.  But if they don't, you might have to buy a
> domain name to get it to work properly.

Oh, I have a couple of domain names. But in my ignorance of DNS, I
thought it might cause confusion to have hostnames in my domain located
in completely different places. I take it that's not the case (assuming
the hostnames are distinct, of course)?

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.