[CLUE-Tech] Escape from RH 8.0

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Mar 1 21:13:34 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 20:30, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience getting a RH8.0 system to a usable state?
> By that I mean, undoing the whole bluecurve thing? I'm curious how much of
> this brain-dead GUI is RedHat, and how much is new Gnome stuff. I can't
> even tell which window manager I'm running, or find a place to change it.

Hi Jed,

I installed KRUD 8.0 (which is, for all practical purposes, identical to
RH 8.0) on my ThinkPad A22p two months ago and had very little trouble
getting my favorite window manager (Enlightenment R16) and terminal
(Eterm) up and running.  If you want the RPMs for them for RH 8.0, let
me know and I'll put them on a webserver somewhere.

On another machine I'm using mostly the default Bluecurve environment
and am really not upset about it.  Its actually pretty good.  I like the
anti-aliased fonts and the graphics are an improvement.  I switched to
the "Metal-like" theme that they offer and the window borders are now
more easily resized.

> Does anyone have a fairly new non-RH Gnome environment installed? And does
> it suffer from the same paucity of configurability?

Well, you can always switch to Ximian Gnome without much fuss:

  ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/ximian-gnome/redhat-80-i386

as its RPMs will install cleanly on top of RH 8.0.

> Well, since I'm ranting away, anyone know how to disable the
> "/dev/hdd=ide-scsi" in Grub? I removed that from the Grub config window
> when installing, but it still loads up the scsi modules at boot, but there
> aren't any lines in my grub.conf which would seem to be calling for that.
> Yeah, I know, I gotta RTFM, but at the moment, I'm overwhelmed with how
> badly this whole thing sucks.

Edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483