[CLUE-Tech] Escape from RH 8.0

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Mar 1 22:04:09 MST 2003

Evenin' Ed.

On 01 Mar 2003 21:13:34 -0700
Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 20:30, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> > Does anyone have any experience getting a RH8.0 system to a usable
> > state? By that I mean, undoing the whole bluecurve thing? I'm curious
> > how much of this brain-dead GUI is RedHat, and how much is new Gnome
> > stuff. I can't even tell which window manager I'm running, or find a
> > place to change it.
>

> Hi Jed,
>
> I installed KRUD 8.0 (which is, for all practical purposes, identical to
> RH 8.0) on my ThinkPad A22p two months ago and had very little trouble
> getting my favorite window manager (Enlightenment R16) and terminal
> (Eterm) up and running.  If you want the RPMs for them for RH 8.0, let
> me know and I'll put them on a webserver somewhere.

Well, I have Sawfish installed. Question is, where in that bloated mess of
cascading menus and/or that minimalist control panel is the
button/drop-down/whatever to tell Gnome to use it?

Is there some "expert-level" switch I need to throw someplace?

> On another machine I'm using mostly the default Bluecurve environment
> and am really not upset about it.  Its actually pretty good.  I like the
> anti-aliased fonts and the graphics are an improvement.  I switched to
> the "Metal-like" theme that they offer and the window borders are now
> more easily resized.
>

> > Does anyone have a fairly new non-RH Gnome environment installed? And
> > does it suffer from the same paucity of configurability?
>
> Well, you can always switch to Ximian Gnome without much fuss:
>
>   ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/ximian-gnome/redhat-80-i386
>
> as its RPMs will install cleanly on top of RH 8.0.

The question being, will it be an improvement? Will it return all the
"lost" functionality? I mean, I can't seem to even configure the panel,
except to move it to one edge of the screen or another, and change its
color. Heck, I can't even change the "Gnome Menu" icon -- there's no
preference anywhere, or properties panel to do that. And that red hat has
go to go.

> > Well, since I'm ranting away, anyone know how to disable the
> > "/dev/hdd=ide-scsi" in Grub? I removed that from the Grub config
> > window when installing, but it still loads up the scsi modules at
> > boot, but there aren't any lines in my grub.conf which would seem to
> > be calling for that. Yeah, I know, I gotta RTFM, but at the moment,
> > I'm overwhelmed with how badly this whole thing sucks.
>
> Edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

[ grub.conf ]
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=/dev/hda5
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

I don't see a line that adds that boot parameter, otherwise I sure would
remove it. (No I haven't RTFM yet. I'm still to busy fuming. ;-)

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl