[CLUE-Tech] Escape from RH 8.0

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Mar 2 10:20:03 MST 2003

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> The question being, will it be an improvement? Will it return all the
> "lost" functionality? I mean, I can't seem to even configure the panel,
> except to move it to one edge of the screen or another, and change its
> color. Heck, I can't even change the "Gnome Menu" icon -- there's no
> preference anywhere, or properties panel to do that. And that red hat has
> go to go.

To go with DLL Hell that MS developers suffer, I call this "GUI Hell".
That's when the dialog says "Click cancel to prevent <some undesirable
action>." and all you have is a "Yes" button.

>>>Well, since I'm ranting away, anyone know how to disable the
>>>"/dev/hdd=ide-scsi" in Grub? I removed that from the Grub config
>>>window when installing, but it still loads up the scsi modules at
>>>boot, but there aren't any lines in my grub.conf which would seem to
>>>be calling for that. Yeah, I know, I gotta RTFM, but at the moment,
>>>I'm overwhelmed with how badly this whole thing sucks.

This might have to do with devfs and/or your modules.conf.  I recently
installed LVM, which wanted devfsd, which put a bunch of probeall stuff
in modules.conf.  And I have some other stuff there that refers to ide-scsi.

Good luck,