[CLUE-Tech] Probably, I'm an idiot, but...

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Mar 2 15:14:19 MST 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:32:43 -0700
Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:

> would someone explain to my the following RPM dependancy scenario:
>
> I tried to install a mandrake lyx 1.3 package that uses Qt for its
> frontend.  I downloaded this rpm from lyx.org ftp site.
>
> When I try to install it on my Mandrake 9.0 laptop, it complains:
>
> $ rpm -i lyx-1.3.0-1mdk9-qt.i586.rpm
> error:  failed dependancies:
> 	qt >= 2.2.1 is needed by lyx-1.3.0-1qt
>
> Hmm, here's what rpm tells me about qt
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep qt
> libqt3-3.0.5-7mdk
> libqt2-2.3.1-29mdk
> libqt3-devel-3.0.5-7.mdk
>
> If this is the case, then I am officially 'Totally Confused' about the
> point of RPM and dependancies.  Would an RPM veteran please explain it
> to me?  Is this a case of poor package authorship?  Related to the fact
> that my system is an 'upgrade' rather than a 'fresh' 9.0 install?  Some
> other cosmic explanation?

Uh, I don't know I qualify for veteran status -- battle scarred, yes.

# rpm -qa | grep qt
qt-MySQL-3.0.5-17
qt-3.0.5-17

That's my box (fresh RH 8.0) I think that libqt != gt. IOW, your package
is checking for qt, not lib-qt.

HTH
jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl